I founded Total Ensemble Theatre Company in 2011 because my own life was changed for the better when I encountered the brave new world of inclusive theatre and dance in London. There was nowhere to continue this experience in Norfolk.
I trained in contemporary dance way back in the late 80’s. In class I enjoyed many a laugh with one of my peers, Adam Benjamin, who went on to found Candoco dance company of disabled and non-disabled dancers. His drive and brilliance inspired my hugely – those early days of Candoco were nothing short of revolutionary.
After performing in comedy revue and theatre in London and at the Edinburgh Fringe, I trained as an actor at Bristol Old Vic Theatre School and went on to work at Chickenshed.
Here, I performed alongside people with extreme challenges – physical and emotional. I experienced first-hand their refusal to let anything stop them from following their dreams to perform.
Someone had to facilitate this. I experienced that too. How artists and educators worked tirelessly and passionately to create a space where very different types of people could meet and become equals in their endeavours.
I have always believed that difference, and the celebration of difference between human beings, is what makes mankind tick. I have always been drawn to the person that quietly outshines everyone from the sidelines or the one that flies in leftfield and surprises everyone out of their safe, slumbering herd mentality and social restraint.
I truly believe that performance and inclusion are inseparable if the full, unfettered human story is to be told on stage, or anywhere else for that matter.
Founder and Artistic Director
Total Ensemble Theatre Company
- Bristol Old Vic Theatre School Diploma – Professional Acting, accredited by University of the West of England (Bristol) Winner: best comedy actress, Peter Ackerman Comedy Award.
- BA HONS Performance Arts
Major – contemporary dance
- Dancer – Grief project – Glass House Dance – Theatre Royal Norwich 2020
- Dancer – Circadian – Rosemary Lee – First Light Festival, Lowestoft 2019
- Actor – Spindrift – Curious Directive – Norfolk & Norwich Festival and The Drum, Theatre Royal Plymouth 2016
- Actor/Singer – Alice on the Underground – Birmingham Rep & Queens Theatre, Hornchurch with Chickenshed Theatre Company
- Actor/Singer – High Society – No. 1 tour
- Singer – Let’s Do It – Chichester Festival Theatre
- Actor/Singer – Summer in the City – UK tour
- Actor/Singer – Sweet Charity – Battersea Arts Centre
- Actor/Dancer – Aladdin – White Rock Theatre, Hastings
- Actor/Dancer – Dangerous Nights – Jermyn Street Theatre, Piccadilly
- Singer – A Swinging Affair – Kings Head Theatre, Islington
- Actor – Beethoven’s Tenth – Tristan Bates Theatre, Covent Garden
- Actor – Luxuriating Anonymous – the Man in the Moon, Kings Road & the Latchmere Theatre
- Actor – Newsrevue (the world’s longest running live comedy show!) – The Canal Cafe Theatre, Little Venice & Edinburgh Festival
- Actor – The Sketch – Camden Studio Theatre
- Actor/Singer – Let’s Do (Late) Lunch – Edinburgh Festival
- Actor – Grease – Theatre y werin – Aberystwyth Arts Centre
Making, Directing & Educational
- Total Ensemble Theatre Company 2011-present: Founder, Artistic Director and Producer
- The Garage, Norwich 2010-present: Director of summer productions, youth and children’s theatre, script adaptor and theatre practitioner, adults, youth and children
- Norfolk Schools Project, Theatre Royal, Norwich – 4 opera projects over 2013 and 2014: Director
- City College, Norwich, School of Foundation Studies & RUG room (Regional Centre for learners with autistic spectrum disorders), 2007 – 2012: Sessional lecturer in Performing Arts
- Chickenshed Theatre, London, 2002-2006: Actor, Directing Team, Inclusive Support Coordinator, BTEC tutor (acting and voice)
- Freelance Contracts throughout Norfolk – 2007-present: Norfolk & Norwich Festival, Creative Partnerships, Creative Arts East, Future Projects and Aim Higher